Search Digital Aneurysm

Thursday 7 April 2011

Moving from Jailbroken iOS 4.2.1 to Jailbroken iOS 4.3.1


So I just Jailbroke my iPhone using redsn0w to get untethered 4.3.1.

I found it quite difficult to find a simple guide that basically said
'Shit you need to do first if you are coming from a jailbreak' so read on for some steps mssing in other guides.



Coming from a previously Jailbroken iPhone 4 with Limerain 4.2.1 to get to the new 4.3.1, I had to do the following basic steps:

Here is the basic process, as everywhere I look people miss these instructions out in their guides.


  • Restore your device to factory settings (if you restore from a previous jailbreak it can mess with your device)
  • Update to latest firmware in iTunes
  • Setup the device as a new phone (dont recover from a backup)
  • Then follow the instructions found HERE 
So your device is jailbroken,  and you have 4.3.1, all good? 
No.

I made some stupid decisions that would have come under the 
'Shit you need to do first' category, so please benefit from my stupidity.

So here goes:

  • Game Saves! I was naive to think that Game Center would save my progress. My achievements are still intact (for what that's worth) but my Angry Birds, Tiger Woods, Sims, Reckless Racing and every other game's progress appears to be lost forever! 
  • Follow THIS link for a guide on how to save your saves before restoring. (You will need to SSH in, HERE is a guide) Alternatively there is a more elegant solution HERE, however at present doesn't support 4.3.1.
  • Other Apps have data you wont consider (finance apps for example), some apps have a backup facility which you can use, or a backup to cloud option. In any case have a look at all your apps and consider what starting from scratch really means.
  • Jailbroken Apps. I'm not one for themes etc on my iPhone but if you want to backup all your Cydia app data use Aptbackup or follow THIS guide
  • Homescreen. Another annoyance if you are not backing up, I personally just take a snapshot of each screen as re-organising isnt as difficult as remembering how it used to sit, muscle memory is a bitch. (To take a snapshot of your iOS screen simply press the power and home screen at the same time)
  • Contacts. I didn't have an issue with this one, however the sooner you adopt the Android approach and let your contacts live in the cloud, the better. You can set most email accounts to Exchange in iOS which means as well as email, your calendars and contacts are synched back and forth with the cloud.
Now if you will excuse me, I have a hundred or so Angry Birds levels to complete! 
:( 

Đ

 

No comments:

Post a Comment